The main mining-related goals set forth by the Management Board of KGHM Polska Miedź S.A. in 2007 were to optimise the following:
- Company production capacity,
- production costs at every stage of the production process, and
- copper content in ore.
The objectives set for the Company required fulfilment of the following tasks:
- improving the ore selection system;
- increasing work on drifts to prepare for the opening of new mining areas;
- realisation of tasks aimed at minimising environmental impact; and
- coordinating purchases.
|Copper ore (dry weight)*||'000 t||30 434||31 279||30 262||29 416||29 730||29 303||29 718||101,42%|
|of which mineral exploited from deposit **||'000 t||25 662||25 903||23 940||22 745||23 161||22 448||22 985||102,39%|
|Copper content in ore||%||1,89||1,79||1,67||1,64||1,68||1,64||1,61||98,33%|
* As defined by the Ruling of the Council of Ministers dated 6 April 2004 regarding the Polish Classification of Goods and Services (known as PKWiU).
** As defined by the Law on Mining and Geology dated 4 February 1994 with later changes and by executory provisions to the Law.
The ore seam worked by the Lubin mine varies from 70 cm to 10 m. The copper content in extracted ore is rather low, on average 1.1%. However, the ore has a high silver content – on average 65 grams per tonne.
The ore seams in the Polkowice-Sieroszowice mine are thin, not exceeding 3 m. Even layers of 1-1.6 m are worked. The extraction of ore under such conditions requires the use of particularly low machinery. The copper content of this ore is at appx. 1.8%.
In addition to copper ore, the Polkowice-Sieroszowice mine also extracts high-quality rock salt with a purity of 97-99% NaCl, which occurs above the layer of copper ore.
The ore seam of the Rudna mine is the largest – on average 5 m, though it reaches up to 26 m. High cavities are therefore normal for the Rudna mine. Extraction is carried out at depths of 900-1200 m, where the temperature of the rock is appx. 40C. Average copper content of the ore – 1.9%.
|Cu 3M||6350,50 USD/t|